Updated new App Store guidelines on template-based apps

Expo lets you both submit your own app and has a single aggregation app, and whether or not it violates the new guidelines seems uncertain on first read. I was curious whether you had any connections with apple / clarity on whether expo would be affected by these updated app store rules.

I am not on the Expo dev team, but this new guideline (since revised by Apple) is not related to what Expo provides.

Compare what Good Barber and Bizness Apps offer vs Expo. Not same ballpark. Apple and oranges.

Apple’s previous and new guidelines both refer to app templates, which are different from Expo:

4.2.6 Apps created from a commercialized template or app generation service will be rejected unless they are submitted directly by the provider of the app’s content. These services should not submit apps on behalf of their clients and should offer tools that let their clients create customized, innovative apps that provide unique customer experiences.

Another acceptable option for template providers is to create a single binary to host all client content in an aggregated or “picker” model, for example as a restaurant finder app with separate customized entries or pages for each client restaurant, or as an event app with separate entries for each client event.

With Expo, each developer codes a unique app that is submitted under their own Apple developer account. Apple’s guidelines read to me as talking about automatic, template-based app generators and not software platforms like Expo. And Apple’s new guidelines accommodate template-based apps anyway so for several reasons I believe these guidelines aren’t about technologies like Expo.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.