Updated to Expo SDK v32.0.0 and get "There was a problem sending log messages to your development environment" for every console call made

Hello all,

I am currently trying to upgrade our application to Expo SDK v32.0.0, however running the app in a simulator immediately after loading with expo start -c, I immediately get:

“There was a problem sending log messages to your development environment”, which I am able to dismiss, but will immediately reappear on subsequent calls to console.log, etc. anywhere in the application. I ran expo diagnostics and get the following:

Expo CLI 2.10.1 environment info:
    System:
      Shell: 3.2.57 - /bin/bash
    Binaries:
      Node: 11.2.0 - /usr/local/bin/node
      npm: 6.7.0 - /usr/local/bin/npm
      Watchman: 4.9.0 - /usr/local/bin/watchman
    IDEs:
      Xcode: 10.1/10B61 - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
    npmPackages:
      expo: ^32.0.0 => 32.0.0 
      react: 16.5.0 => 16.5.0 
      react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-32.0.0.tar.gz => 0.57.1 
      react-navigation: ^2.18.2 => 2.18.3 
    npmGlobalPackages:
      expo-cli: 2.10.1

Thank you for your help!
Eric

Some more info for context - this is the console in the JS debugger when the crash happens. Thanks!

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? I’ve seen it referenced a couple of times:

Both without resolution. I can provide additional info if needed, please let me know as I’d like to get this upgrade completed!

Thanks,
Eric

+1

I ran into this and reverted back to earlier version. Have not attempted to upgrade since, so I’m interested in finding a solution as well

Update - I was able to find a solution for this issue. It is a bug that appears for me when redux-logger is used in the application. Specifically, if I intercept actions that include a request/response payload, I was able to squash or recreate the error. I was able to squash the error by removing the request property from action.payload in the redux-logger (using lodash/omit):

const logger = createLogger({
    actionTransformer: (action = {}) => {
        if (action && action.payload) {
            action.payload = omit(action.payload, ['request']);
        }
        return action;
    }
});

Not sure what about the request object is the issue here, but hopefully it will help others (and perhaps the expo team?) resolve this!

Thanks,
Eric

Hi,

Got an issue with ‘Debug js remotely’ enabled in emulator, i fixed it by enabling “cross-origin ressource sharing” when i dev.

might help, might not :hugs:

I got this error consistently when dumping the result of an axios call to console like console.log(result). Once I used console.log(JSON.stringify(result)) the problem went away. I imagine it has something to do with escaping.