Upgrading from 29 to 30

Hi folks,

Apologies in advance for the newb question :slight_smile:

My dev team is saying that it’s going to take 2 days to update from version 29 to 30, and I just wanted to reach out to determine if that sounds correct or not, or if there are additional questions that I ought to pose to them in order to gauge the time expenditure properly.

Due to policy changes with Android, we need to comply with SMS and Call Log permissions. Since we use Expo, they’re recommending that we update Expo sdk to version 30 and they have features allowing us to specify these permissions. After we do so, we suspect that the error messages we’ve been receiving will go away.

Is there something in particular that I ought to ask them to get more info about this? The app is at gomkt.com.

Best,

Matt

@jess

Hey @gomkt,

Is the app a standard Expo one or have you and your team ejected to use ExpoKit?

As for dealing with the SMS permissions, you either need to upgrade to SDK 32 (if you’re using the SMS module) or just filter out the permission in app.json if you aren’t using the SMS module (no upgrade required).

Cheers,

Adam

1 Like

Hey @adamjnav, thanks for your help here.

The app is using standard Expo. So would 16 hours of work to upgrade make sense?

They’re hoping the upgrade to 30 will get rid of these error messages (2019-02-01_1543). Here’s what they indicated to me (below). Is there a more guaranteed way to address this issue (since they’re claiming it’s not 100% certain it will stop)?

"My developer just reached out to me with a situation regarding Android GoMkt app.

Due to policy change we need to comply with SMS and Call Log permissions. Since we use Expo, he suggests that we update Expo sdk to version 30 and they have features allowing us to specify these permissions. After we do so, we suspect that this error message will go away.

If this doesn’t resolve the situation, a full detach from Expo would be the only option."

@gomkt - the time it takes to update a project is almost entirely determined by specific details of the project itself, eg: what libraries you use and whether they are compatible with the new version, where you use APIs that changed across the releases. for this reason, it’s impossible for us to provide an estimate for you that we can be confident will be accurate to within even an order of magnitude. if i were to update a totally empty project that uses sdk29 to sdk30 i could do it in 10 minutes. if the app has even one library that worked with sdk29 but hasn’t been updated to support sdk30, it could take anywhere from five minutes to a day to fix that library.

@notbrent
Thank you, Brent. Is there any specific information that I can get from my team that would help to clarify the estimate for the task (e.g. number and types of libraries in use)? In essence, I suspect they’ve been overcharging me for some time, and I’d like to be certain that the estimate for this sprint are within reason. Thank you.

Matt

as I said, everything is too specific to each project. there is no substitute for working with a team that you trust if you are not a technical person yourself

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.