Watchman error after upgrade to 31.0.4

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded my Expo project to the 31.0.4 sdk, following the instructions outlined in the blog post about the release. But after upgrading, I’ve been having issues with Watchman. When I run expo from the CLI, the project launches, but I get the following error after a little while:

jest-haste-map: Watchman crawl failed. Retrying once with node crawler.
[17:54:00]   Usually this happens when watchman isn't running. Create an empty `.watchmanconfig` file in your project's root folder or initialize a git or hg repository in your project.
[17:54:00]   Error: Watchman error: query failed: synchronization failed: syncToNow: timed out waiting for cookie file to be observed by watcher within 60000 milliseconds: Operation timed out. Make sure watchman is running for this project. See https://facebook.github.io/watchman/docs/troubleshooting.html.

If I build the Javascript bundle anyway and launch my app in the iOS simulator (or on a device through the Expo app), the app will refresh/reload endlessly every 1-2 seconds.

I’ve searched far and wide (even found an old, unsolved, similar issue here: Jest-haste-map: Watchman crawl failed), but to no avail. Here’s what I’ve tried to far:

• Delete node_modules and run npm install again
  • Uninstall and reinstall Watchman (through brew install watchman)
  • Install latest version of Watchman (brew install --HEAD watchman)
  • Running watchman shutdown-server and watchman watch-del-all
  • Creating a completely new Expo project – and the problem still occurs

Any ideas what might be causing this, and how to fix it?

Keeping my fingers crossed that someone can help resolve this.
Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.