WebView does not load until page is focused, despite setting 'lazy: false' in bottomTabNavigator after upgrading from Expo v34 to Expo v35/react-native-webview

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: v35
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): iOS

When using Expo v34 and importing WebView from react-native, my app would load WebViews in the background when using bottomTabNavigator and setting lazy to false.

After upgrading to Expo v35, and using react-native-webview instead as instructed, this functionality stopped working. Now, the WebView does not load until the page gains focus, which creates a poor user experience.

I have tracked the issue here: https://github.com/react-native-community/react-native-webview/issues/913.

This bug report includes a relevant PR and Stack Overflow article.

I would like to avoid downgrading to Expo v34 because that WebView did not seem to play nicely with the new iOS simulators (which I’m guessing is more xCode’s fault), and it rendered certain modals strangely.

Any ideas of a workaround here? Could I use the WebView version imported from react-native through Expo 34 instead, while also using Expo 35?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.