What is the proper way to upgrade Expo SDK into production?

I recently made a big upgrade from Expo 30 to 33.
I have a live app in production on the App Store running Expo 30.
I have a built app I am trying to upload with Expo 33.
I have detached to ExpoKit.

I had 1 release channel:

• default (production) - Expo 30

When I uploaded my new build with Expo 33, I got some notice that prevented by app from appearing like “client is on 30, this copy of Expo requires 33”, so I created another release channel staging and now have:

• default (production) - Expo 30
  • staging

So for my next build, I changed my EXShell.plist to staging and uploaded that build and published it, and it worked as expected.

• staging - Expo 33

Now I change my Expo 33 EXShell.plist back to default, expecting it to break or something cause it’s pointing to the wrong channel, but I still see what appears to be the staging channel with all of my new changes.

• default (production) - Expo 30 → staging - Expo 33???

I didn’t make many code changes, but I made a bunch of package.json and Podfile changes. So I was expecting it to crash or something because e.g. using Firebase iOS SDK 6.14.0 (Podfile that gets built) with react-native-firebase 0.8 (package.json that gets published) is not compatible.

This has me really confused, so now I’m not sure what the best way to upgrade is.

Nevermind. I gave it some time and it seems the default ended up on Expo 30 with the error as expected.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.