Where does Camera.takePictureAsync() save photos?

where Camera.tackePicture function saves the photos?, I have searched my device but I could not found them. I have used console.log to print the path but I could not found it either.
I’m facing troubles while interacting with the filesystem is there any tutorial or examples?

best regards

Camera.takePictureAsync saves the photo to the cache directory provided by iOS/Android. This means the photo may disappear if the OS clears the cache. From the Camera docs:

Returns a Promise that resolves to an object: { uri, width, height, exif, base64 } where uri is a URI to the local image file…

You then may want to move the image at that URI to another location:

The local image URI is temporary. Use Expo.FileSystem.copyAsync to make a permanent copy of the image.

1 Like

sorry for bothering again, but I have used moveAsync and I’m getting:

[Unhandled promise rejection: Error: Location ‘file:///data/user/0/host.exp.exponent/cache/ReactNative_cropped_image_-1777227973.jpg’ isn’t movable.]

this is my code:

takePicture = async function() {
    if (this.camera) {
      this.camera.takePictureAsync().then(async (data) => {

cropdata = {
          offset:{x:0, y:0},
          size:{width:100, height:100},
        };

await ImageEditor.cropImage(
          data.uri, 
          cropdata,
          async (uri) => {
            FileSystem.moveAsync({
              to: `${FileSystem.documentDirectory}photos/Photo_${this.state.photoId}.jpg`,
            }).then(() => {
              this.setState({
                photoId: this.state.photoId + 1,
              });
              Vibration.vibrate();
            });
          },
          (error) => {
            console.log(error);
          }
        );

});
    }
  };

Also I have tried to use Expo.FileSystem.copyAsync but I get the following error:

[Unhandled promise rejection: Error: Location ‘file:///data/user/0/host.exp.exponent/cache/ReactNative_cropped_image_1526945600.jpg’ isn’t readable.]

Are you sure ${FileSystem.documentDirectory}photos directory exists? I think something similar happened to me once. If this is the reason we should definitely provide a more detailed message

Yes I’m sure I have displayed images from the photos directory without cropping and I check the directory at each run using :

componentDidMount() {
    FileSystem.makeDirectoryAsync(FileSystem.documentDirectory + 'photos').catch(e => {
      console.log(e, 'Directory exists');
    });
  }

Okay, so ImageEditor is not in your app’s scope because it is generated by the Editor and not Expo. I’m afraid this cannot be modified with use of FileSystem ( @nikki ? ). Have you considered using ImageManipulator to crop your image?

1 Like

I will try the ImageManipulator, but I’m sorry to waste your time again, what do you mean by “generated by the editor not expo”?. Best regards

Expo’s FileSystem module can copy/move/etc. files that are previously saved in the app’s scope (for example via ImagePicker or using Asset.loadAsync). ImagerEditor is a core React Native functionality and it saves your image to a file that is outside Expo’s scope, thus FileSystem cannot perform actions on this file. Is this a bit clearer now? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Much clearer. I think expo and react-native should be complementing each other, and expo should extends react-native functionalities (add-hoc) not overriding them, I may be wrong anyway thanks for your response great team!.

closed #10

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.