Why expo use/require Location permission? - App rejection in playstore

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: latest 40
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): all
  3. Background location permission issue

My app does not use location or any location related permission.
Why expo require background location access?
Google [playstore] rejecting my app 5 times. Due to this issue, we already exceeded our deadline.

I used to fall in love with the expo but this is a major disappointment.

I must say, this is a major privacy issue.

Please help us.

I didn’t install a single package - Why expo installed a lot of packages without declaring a use case. List of packages - “expo-error-recovery”: “~1.4.0”, “expo-file-system”: “~9.3.0”, “expo-font”: “~8.4.0”, “expo-keep-awake”: “~8.4.0”, “expo-linear-gradient”: “~8.4.0”, “expo-linking”: “~2.0.1”, “expo-location”: “~10.0.0”, “expo-sqlite”: “~8.5.0”.

Hey @akash_thoriya, sorry about this experience you’re having. Unfortunately Android permissions are rather complex and Google only recently started rejecting for background location. If your project is using the Managed workflow, the location module is added by default which is the expected behavior.

In order to ensure the permission is not included in the manifest, please ensure you pass an explicit value of an array containing your desired permissions to android.permissions in your app.json file. https://docs.expo.io/versions/v40.0.0/sdk/permissions/#permissions-on-android If you are on the bare workflow, please see the same documentation that details how to remove permissions for your Manifest.xml file.

Once you’ve done that, building a new binary should ensure that the permission is not added and should unblock you from being rejected by Google.

Cheers,
Adam

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.