YouTube video does not allow full-screen mode through the WebView component

So I’ve been developing an app that has integration with wordpress where the screen that contains the content of the publication is rendered inside a webview, in which some publications contain videos that are embedded in youtube. Faced with this a problem arose, in the android the option to view the video in full screen does not appear available to use.

In my research I found some solutions of native implementations (Java) to allow such functionality to be executable but components made available by Expo are primordial for the project and change to react-native-cli is the last option and as far as I know it is not possible do native implementations in the Expo … I tried to solve implementing the WebBrowser component in which it allows videos in full screen, but the same one despite using the Custom Chrome Tabs I did not find means to stylize it through only JavaScript and the factor of visual identity also is paramount in the business, because Custom Chrome Tabs presents in a generic way in which the client does not find it interesting for the proposal.

Client Expectations:

What WebBrowser give me:

I think the best path would be to find a way to render the page content using React components rather than embedding it inside a WebView. That would give you the most control. For example, then you could just use the Video component, which includes native fullscreen support.

In general, the react-native WebView component is not well-maintained. For example it doesn’t take advantage of WebKit.

If you need to write a native implementation with Expo, you can detach to ExpoKit, which provides access to objective-c and Java code for your project (but this option comes with some tradeoffs, like you need a mac to render iOS builds).

To use react components i should write some components to represent some wordpress plugins, like a carousel view :confused:

In my scenario only one android build is enough, I will make a reading about ExpoKit and then return the current state of the solution, but at first because of the time and quantity of code, creating React Components is not an applicable solution at the moment.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.