Does 'exp publish' change an app? (e.g. break it) -- RESOLVED

I’m probably grasping at straws, but after running ‘exp publish’ earlier today, and having made use of ‘exp start --no-dev --minify’ for debugging, there is a screen in my app that no longer works when I run the simulator in my usual way (‘react-native run-ios’).

When I published my app this morning with “exp publish”, I found that the expo-published app did not work at all, so I started debugging. The app was working great in the simulator (‘react-native run-ios’). After some fruitless debugging with ‘exp start --no-dev --minify’, I decided to revert to my last git revision from yesterday and run the simulator the way I normally do (react-native run-ios). Oddly, the same screen that I couldn’t fix in the expo-published version now fails with ‘react-native run-ios’.

Is there any possibility that, having published my app earlier via expo, the simulator does not work the same way anymore when I do ‘react-native run-ios’?

The screen loads but state now seems to work differently, and no content loads in the screen.

The only other change today worth noting is that I upgraded exp.

UPDATE: I have it narrowed down to this one language structure that is no longer working…

Object.keys(data).map(k => …

UPDATE 2:

Nope, the preceding language structure is fine. The problem has to do with TouchableOpacity. If I replace that with Text, it works. Though the related navigation function isn’t working. My import for TouchableOpacity is fine. No idea why it stopped working. It’s probably a coincidence that it stopped working when I ran ‘exp publish’.

UPDATE 3:

The problem seems to be that I had TouchableOpacity nested inside Text. I must have updated some other node modules when I updated exp today, and that must somehow have made TouchableOpacity more finicky.

1 Like

(previously posted here but I don’t own the post si I can’t change the tittle : Does 'exp publish' change an app? (e.g. break it) -- RESOLVED - #2 by lc3t35)

I also detected a problem between the published version and the dev version (on simulator or real device),
published version or exp start --no-dev --minify displays :
exp start --dev version displays :
It seems to be also related to a nested Text inside Text ?

<View style={styles.viewtext}>
  <Text style={styles.text} numberOfLines={4} >
    <View style={styles.viewusername}>
      <Text style={styles.texthightlight} >{username ? item.username : null}</Text>
      { item.verified ?
           <View style={{ marginTop: 0, marginLeft: 2,}}>
                <Verified size={16}/>
            </View>
        : null }
     </View>
     {text}
   </Text>
</View>

Workaround found

<View style={styles.viewtext}>
  <View style={styles.viewusername}>
    <Text style={styles.texthightlight} >{username ? item.username : null}</Text>
    { item.verified ?
      <View style={{ marginTop: 0, marginLeft: 2,}}>
        <Verified />
      </View>
    : null }
  </View>
  <Text style={styles.text}>{text}</Text>
</View>

which displays

Where should I submit this issue : expo or react-native, both ?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.