I’m experiencing a weird issue with an OTA update. I have an app in the app stores, let’s call it version 1.0.0. I recently pushed an OTA update with minor string changes, but these changes aren’t reflected in the app until after a restart IN SPITE of the version number being correct.
Simplified, I did 2 things that were not reflected:
- Removed the subtitle in a view
<Text>Title</Text> <Text>Subtitle</Text> <Text>Main text</Text>
I removed the middle tag (subtitle) in the update
- Changed a ‘wrong-login-creds’ string on the loginscreen from ‘wrong email and/or password’ to ‘wrong username and/or password’.
To be clear, here are some steps:
- User downloads app from app store, version 1.0.0 (visible on loginscreen, shown using
- User opens app, sees old strings and version 1.0.0
- User restarts app to apply update, verifies new version number (1.0.1), but the string changes are not applied
- User restarts app again, and this time both the version number and string changes are updated
I can consistently reproduce the problem following the steps above across 4 different iOS devices. Android works as expected.
It’s worth noting that I’m using
"loadJSInBackgroundExperimental": true in app.json, and that I updated both
buildNumber (iOS) and
versionCode (android) before pushing the OTA update.