React Navigation Drawer won't open/close when swiping from the side of the screen. iOS

I have a React Navigation(v5) Drawer as part of my app that won’t open when swiping from the side of the screen, or won’t close when swiping the drawer back or when tapping behind the drawer. We are using expo sdk 40. This behaviour used to work but doesn’t anymore. I can confirm it works properly in the expo client on an iPad running iOS 12.5 but not on an iPhone running iOS 14.3.

I’m not sure if it would help since its working properly on an older iOS version, but the Drawer.Navigator looks like the following:

<Drawer.Navigator
  drawerPosition='right'
  drawerType='slide'
  drawerStyle={{
    backgroundColor: Colors.blue3,
  }}
  initialRouteName='MainTabs'
  drawerContent={props => <CustomDrawerContent {...props} navigation={navigation} />}
  drawerContentOptions={{
    labelStyle: {
      color: Colors.lightText,
      fontSize: 18,
      fontWeight: 'bold',
    },
  }}
>

Im at a loss as to what to do to get this working again. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I have the same issue, upgrading from expo37 to expo40 broke this functionality on iOS. It works on Android, and on both platforms with the old sdk.

I’ve done a bit more testing and its working for me in the expo client on iOS when I’m running a published version of the app or when I disconnect Remote Debugging which is using React Native Debugger. Does it work for you @rivet in any of these cases?

hey @acmofocord yes, swiping does work when running from the expo client on a real device. Also a colleague of mine has worked a bit on the issue, and it seems to be related to react-native-reanimated. She forked react-navigation and removed the usage of Animated.event in Drawer.tsx, and that fixes the issue. We do not understand the underlying problem though, I tried different versions of the react-native-reanimated library, but all resulted the same error with EXPO 40.