Really stuggling to run in Simultor

Hey everyone,

I have stuggled with this for a few days now. I can use react-native-cli with no issues, but if I create a new project with the expo-cli, I cannot get the new app running in an emulator/simulator.

I get errors about the build being detached. For example

# After npm start I press 'i' to run in the iPad simulator

[14:43:24] Trying to open the project in iOS simulator...
[14:43:25] Opening exp37658ad2fef24150b0b5731e57462079://127.0.0.1:19000 in iOS simulator
[14:43:25] Error running `xcrun simctl openurl booted exp37658ad2fef24150b0b5731e57462079://127.0.0.1:19000`: An error was encountered processing the command (domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain, code=-10814):
The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -10814.)

[14:43:25] Error running app. Have you installed the app already using Xcode? Since you are detached you must build manually. Error: Process exited with non-zero code: 194

This app and the the app I have working on react-native-cli have different names and working directories. I have Erased all content and settings off of my simulator.

Note: I tried expo first before giving up and trying react-native-cli. Seeing as I had things working I thought to try expo again, but I am running in to this issue again.

I feel like it is something that I have done and not an issue the cli itself.

Hey @bouncey,

Can you share your app.json as well as trying to run expo start -c --ios and let me know if that works?

Cheers,

Adam

Hi @adamjnav,

With expo start -c --ios I get the same output. My app.json is as follows:

{
  "expo": {
    "name": "PatronHub",
    "slug": "patronhub",
    "privacy": "public",
    "sdkVersion": "32.0.0",
    "platforms": [
      "ios",
      "android"
    ],
    "version": "1.0.0",
    "orientation": "portrait",
    "icon": "./assets/images/icon.png",
    "splash": {
      "image": "./assets/images/splash.png",
      "resizeMode": "contain",
      "backgroundColor": "#ffffff"
    },
    "updates": {
      "fallbackToCacheTimeout": 0
    },
    "assetBundlePatterns": [
      "**/*"
    ],
    "ios": {
      "supportsTablet": true,
      "bundleIdentifier": "uk.co.patronhub.patronhub",
      "publishBundlePath": "ios/patronhub/Supporting/shell-app.bundle",
      "publishManifestPath": "ios/patronhub/Supporting/shell-app-manifest.json"
    },
    "android": {
      "package": "uk.co.patronhub.patronhub",
      "publishBundlePath": "android/app/src/main/assets/shell-app.bundle",
      "publishManifestPath": "android/app/src/main/assets/shell-app-manifest.json"
    },
    "isDetached": true,
    "detach": {
      "iosExpoViewUrl": "https://s3.amazonaws.com/exp-exponent-view-code/ios-v2.10.2-sdk32.0.0-c59c23cd-1d49-49d2-a633-d03f9d554cf6.tar.gz",
      "androidExpoViewUrl": "https://s3.amazonaws.com/exp-exponent-view-code/android-v2.10.5-sdk32.0.0-6b87ee30-8cbe-4cc6-b5ba-b03b77e34f90.tar.gz"
    },
    "scheme": "exp37658ad2fef24150b0b5731e57462079"
  }
}

My apologies. I thought your project was a standard one and for some reason it was throwing an error saying it was detached. Once ejected (aka detached), you’ll need to open your workspace via Xcode and start running the simulator via Xcode rather than expo-cli.

That’s the thing, I haven’t ejected from expo. I literally ran expo init myapp then cd myapp && npm start

Interesting…what version of Xcode do you have?

xcode Version 10.1 (10B61)

I am having the same issue. Any resolution?

Same problem here. Running Xcode 10.1.
Anything new regarding this? :slight_smile:

Hey @bouncey and to others whom this may apply to,

After looking back at your app.json, it looks like you may have choosen the advanced workflow which creates an ejected project. Hence why your app.json has isDetached: true and the detach.iosExpoViewUrl and detach.androidExpoViewUrl properties. Can you create a new project and make sure you select the managed workflow?

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.