Unable to use Google login

I was trying to build a google login function in my app. And was following the instructions here https://docs.expo.io/versions/latest/sdk/google.html

Everything works well in the simulator, but every time I published it, and pressed the sign in button, the real app crashed.

Can anyone help me on this?

I’m using Expo 24.0.0

hi. first, you didn’t say which platform you’re using (ios, android?). second, you didn’t specify whether you’re using the expo client or a standalone build. we need this kind of information :wink:

also, show the code that you’re using for this.

Hi Brent,

I’m using iOS, using standalone build to build the .ipa file, and deploy to the app store.

Here is the code I’m using:

<TouchableHighlight style={styles.googleLogin} onPress={this._signInWithGoogleAsync} underlayColor="white">
              <Text style={styles.facebookLoginText}>Sign in with Google</Text>
</TouchableHighlight>

_signInWithGoogleAsync = async () => {
        try {
            const result = await Expo.Google.logInAsync({
                androidClientId: '...',
                iosClientId: '...',
                scopes: ['profile', 'email'],
            });

if (result.type === 'success') {
                console.log(result.accessToken);
                const res = await actions.loginWithGoogle(result.accessToken, result.user)
            } else {
                Sentry.captureException(new Error("Unsuccessful login attempt: " + type));
            }
        }
        catch(err) {
            console.log(err);
            Sentry.captureException(err);
        }
    }

Every time I press the Sign in with Google button, it crashed.

@janic ping! any idea what might be going on here?

There is some additional config needed for standalone apps, see https://docs.expo.io/versions/latest/sdk/google.html#deploying-to-a-standalone-app-on-ios for iOS. You should have iosStandaloneAppClientId in the logInAsync call (as well as the android one if needed).

Thanks Janic, will have a try.

BTW: do I have to rebuild it to the app store or simply publish could solve the problem?

closed #7

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

you need to rebuild (i imagine you figured this out by now as it has been a few months :P)